Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mischief and Mayhem

Right now, I'm awaiting my dreaded fifth period class. This class is quite adept at drawing energy from the chaos of lunch and pouring into the classroom setting. Thus each day is like feeding time at the zoo, except the animals are only interested in food fights.

Yesterday was unofficial pottymouth day. Rather than volunteering answers, students were shouting obscenities in a popcorn-like fashion. I pulled three students out into the hallway for conference, and while that was happening another student started having a shouting match with my cooperating teacher. Two kids walked away, another in the office, I walk in the door and the whole class is in tears laughing at the arg. I come in, settle the kids down and have to have another conference after class. Then I called 4 sets of parents, and couldn't reach a single one (disconnect lines, doesn't work here anymore, not home, etc.). It was a terrible, terrible day.

I've given up on drinking coffee. I can't drink enough, so I've taken to eating straight up choco-covered coffee beans.

i love my job, i love my job, i love my job...

3 comments:

  1. aw, that totally sucks. That is like my 6th period every day. March is rough. I have no advice. I can never get hold of my kids's parents either. I have been having so much trouble with my 6th period that I talked to my dept head about coming in to observe that class, and I am considering getting my principal's dad as a substitute. Spring Break is coming soon, hopefully, and you know after that the school slides quickly to an end. Only 3 months left! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you use the word "conference."

    There is nothing worse than that moment of dread before a particularly nasty class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe, seems like we are teaching the same kiddies! I love pottymouth days - def my fave! I will have to try the coffee bean thing. I also feel the coffee isn't cutting it anymore. Perhaps i'll do both - drink coffee and supplement with choco-covered espresso beans. :)

    ReplyDelete